[Openmcl-devel] Thread-safe hash table

Paul Krueger plkrueger at comcast.net
Wed Dec 4 12:27:15 PST 2013

On Dec 4, 2013, at 1:24 PM, Gail Zacharias <gz at clozure.com> wrote:

> All hash tables in ccl are thread-safe.

Terrific, thanks. Just to clarify, I presume this means that updates to the hash-table structure itself (i.e. via gethash (setf gethash) and remhash) are thread safe, but that if I need to modify a value within some hash-table entry (say by doing an (incf (gethash …)) that i'll still need to worry about using appropriate locks. Is that correct or is incf also thread-safe (or atomic which would make it thread-safe)?

I tried to find documentation about what is and is not atomic or otherwise thread-safe in CCL, but wasn't successful. Does such documentation exist somewhere that I missed? Or is there some relatively easy thing to look for in the CCL code that might give me a clue about such things?