[Openmcl-devel] Package-local nicknames

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Wed Feb 6 12:39:40 PST 2013

On 6 Feb 2013, at 19:01, Hans Hübner wrote:

> I think that some cross-platform mechanism for local nicknames is needed, but I'm not sure whether the hook based package name resolution proposal is really better than an extended defpackage now.  It would make sense to have something that implementors would actually (be able to) adopt.

Once again I'll say it: the advantage of a hook (or some similar substrate mechanism) is that it allows *things other than this specific thing* to be implemented.  I regard that as an advantage: perhaps I am alone in that, and everyone else already knows exactly what extra things we would like to be able to happen with package lookup and the complete design is all sorted and done, but I kind of doubt that.

Is there something preventing CCL adopting a hook?  Of the implementations I have looked at (not all in recent history)
- CMUCL can be hooked
- SBCL have not looked but probably can
- LW can be hooked
- Allegro can be hooked