[Openmcl-devel] ASDF 2.26, UTF-8 encoded source files, and CCL 1.8

Tom Emerson tremerson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 06:37:28 PST 2013

Hello all,

I'm losing my mind. I have a source file that contains strings with
UTF-8 encoded characters in them.

When I set CCL:*DEFAULT-FILE-CHARACTER-ENCODING* to :UTF-8 and (load)
this file by itself, the strings are correctly read.

When I load this file with QuickLisp (which uses ASDF, though the same
behavior happens when loading the system directly with ASDF), the
bytes are interpreted as :ISO-8859-1.

Even if I do the following before loading the system,

(setq asdf:*default-encoding* :utf-8)
(setq asdf:*utf-8-external-format* '(:character-encoding :utf-8))

the file is still loaded incorrectly. I cannot get ASDF to use UTF-8
on CCL 1.8 when loading/compiling systems. I've gone through the ASDF
source, traced applicable methods, and can see that the right external
format is being generated, but still no luck. This is becoming
increasingly frustrating: anyone have any clues to what my stupidity
(in this instance) may be?

common-lisp.net appears to be down, else I would have sent this to an
appropriate ASDF list.

Thanks in advance,

    -tree

--