[Openmcl-devel] Playing with sockets

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Sun Feb 17 09:47:03 PST 2013

On Feb 12, 2013, at 12:15 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> I think that it's
> fairly common in other implementations to make streams be
> "line-buffered" (so that something like FORCE-OUTPUT happens whenever
> a #\newline is written to the stream.)

Yep. and a lot of common software assumes this.  Notably (as I just found out the hard way), Quicklisp assumes this, so if you run (ql:update-client) it just sits there and does nothing until you press the return key, at which point it prompts you to press the return key.

Two observations about this:

1.  I can't believe I'm the first person to notice this, and

2.  I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that CCL has exhibited line buffered behavior in the past.  I have specific recollections of running something like (dotimes (i 100) (print i) (sleep 1)) and having it do what I expected (i.e. print a number every second).

Am I losing my mind?  Or did CCL used to be line buffered?

rg