[Openmcl-devel] Q: Clozure CL and built-in class vs. CLOS class, how to get a CLOS instance from CCL:MAKE-SOCKET?

Rainer Joswig joswig at lisp.de
Fri Jul 5 02:09:20 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm currently using Clozure CL on two types of tiny ARM computers under Linux: Raspberry Pi and Odroid-X2. I have to say, it really rocks. Many thanks for the fantastic ARM port!

While trying to port some code to Clozure CL I was a bit thinking about the following:

If I create a socket with CCL:MAKE-SOCKET , I then get an instance of built-in class CCL::BASIC-TCP-STREAM .

Interestingly enough this built-in class also inherits from a CLOS class CCL::TCP-STREAM, plus two built-in streams.

For the particular functionality I would like to have a CLOS-based TCP-STREAM, so that I can write my own subclass and also can use CHANGE-CLASS.

Now I have the following questions:

* why is CCL::BASIC-TCP-STREAM not a CLOS class? Wouldn't it be more useful for the developer?

* how can I use CCL:MAKE-SOCKET so that it returns a CLOS class?

* are there other easy ways to get a socket as a CLOS class?

Regards,

Rainer Joswig