[Openmcl-devel] Cocoa and memory management

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Jul 5 04:21:55 PDT 2013

I don't know, and may take way too long to say that ...

Do you know offhand if most of the images that you're reading are 4K bytes
or larger ?  IIRC, #_malloc treats objects that're larger than the MMU page
size (4K bytes on every platform that CCL runs on) differently than it treats
smaller objects.  Smaller objects are allocated within largish regions of
mapped pages; if we allocate a 3Kbyte object, free it, allocate it again,
free it again ... we're just reusing some pages that #_malloc mapped into
memory when the application started up.   Objects whose size is >= the MMU
page size are allocated in their own (newly-mapped) set of pages.  Freeing
large objects unmaps the pages they occupied, so if you did:

(dotimes (i n)
   (#_free (#_malloc large-number))) ; ignore error checking

you could reasonably expect the process's memory usage to remain essentially
constant.  I don't think that I've flamed Mach in public  in weeks (maybe
longer), so I'll just say:

   1) I think that Mach invalidates that reasonable assumption (e.g., a process
      that repeatedly maps and unmaps memory pages will see its memory utilization
      grow rather than remain constant and this growth will continue until Mach
      gets around to noticing that it's completely unnecessary.)
   2) I've read a paper (published in the late 1980s) that indicates that this
      behavior is intentional.  It makes no sense to me whatsoever and it's
      somewhat hard to believe that it ever made sense to anyone.  (To be fair,
      it's worth remembering that things were different 25 years ago; to be
      equally fair, that observation suggests that things in Mach should have
      adapted to the changing world more than they seem to have.)

One way of testing this theory is to change your code to reuse the same
buffer (heap ivector) rather than allocating/deallocating it on every
loop iteration.  (Obviously, for this to be viable you'd have to make
the buffer "bigger than it'd ever need to be" or deal with the case where
it isn't big enough, but you may be able to avoid those issues for the
sake of this experiment.)

If this doesn't affect what top reports ... well, we'd know more than we do
now and I'll have had the chance to say bad things about Mach without as
much vitriol as is sometimes involved in that.

If this does affect things (and similar changes to CCL itself have been
necessary in the past), we can all flame Mach in unison and with as much
vitriol as we can.