[Openmcl-devel] Using suspend and resume (out of necessity)y

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Jul 5 19:53:34 PDT 2013

The way that PROCESS-SUSPEND is implemented is something like:

;;; each thread has two private semaphores; let's call them RESUME and ACK.

(progn
   (process-interrupt
    target
    (lambda ()
      (without-interrupts
        (signal-semaphore ack)  ; acknowledge request to suspend ourselves
        (wait-on-semaphore resume))))
   (wait-on-semaphore ack))

An important difference between the real code and this sketch is that
the actual mechanism doesn't involve PROCESS-INTERRUPT; it's very hard
for a thread to ignore or significantly defer a request to suspend itself.

There are some other differences, but both the actual code and the code
above are similar in that they increase the risk of deadlock.

A simple scenario that can lead to deadlock involves two threads (A and B)
and two locks (X and Y).  Thread A obtains the lock X and waits for the
lock Y; thread B obtains Y and waits for X, and both threads block forever.
More generally, a thread that owns something (a lock) that other threads
would have to wait for can't safely wait for something whose availability
other threads determine, and PROCESS-SUSPEND introduces such a scenario
and increases the risk of deadlock.

If a thread (your manager thread) suspends some other thread and is
responsible for eventually resuming it, then the suspending/manager
thread can't safely wait for a lock or similar resource since that
might be owned by the suspended/target thread.  This greatly reduces
the number of things that the "manager" thread can safely do.

I'm somewhat amazed that PROCESS-SUSPEND is exported/documented; I
think that happened before the risks involved in using it were clear.
Those risks have been clear for a long time, but the documentation
doesn't do a good job of scaring people out of using it.  (CCL's GC -
whatever thread the GC runs in - uses something like PROCESS-SUSPEND
to suspend other threads while the GC is running.  #_malloc and #_free
often use a lock to serialize access to their heap; the GC sometimes
frees foreign memory, and there have been some subtle and some not-so-subtle
bugs where the GC would try to free something when the #_malloc/#_free lock
was owned by a suspended thread.)

You asked whether locks were automatically released on suspension.
They aren't, and aside from the fact that it's probably not practical
to implement that (aside from locks made via MAKE-LOCK, the same
issues can apply to foreign locks/mutexes such as the one used by
#_maloc, etc.), I'm not sure that that sort of thing is desirable.  A
lock and a protocol based on a lock offer strong guarantees (if
everything that modifies a data structure does so while owning a lock
and a lock can only be released when the owning thread voluntarily
does so, code is likely a lot easier to reason about than it would be
if the lock can be released by anything that's afraid of deadlock.)

Although it shares many of the same issues as the actual implementation
of PROCESS-SUSPEND, the code sketched above avoids some of the problems
that you describe: a critical section of code can't be interrupted by
PROCESS-INTERRUPT if the section is protected by WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS (as it
should be), and calls to foreign code are effectively surrounded by
WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS.  (I don't understand your concern about PROCESS-KILL,
which uses PROCESS-INTERRUPT to tell the target thread to effectively
reset itself and run all pending UNWIND-PROTECt cleanup forms in the process.)

The code above has an additional problem, in that it's possible for
the target thread to receive an interrupt just before the
WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS takes effect.  CCL only uses PROCESS-INTERRUPT
internally in QUIT and SAVE-APPLICATION (to try to get other threads
to shut down), so if your application doesn't use it for other reasons
this shouldn't be a problem in practice.

The other problems - potential deadlock - remain.  If you can find a way
of avoiding the use of PROCESS-SUSPEND, it'd likely be worthwhile to do so.
If you can't find an alternative - if there's no other way to do what you
need to do - then I think that you just have to be aware of the need to
be very, very careful to avoid deadlock.  You certainly have enough rope
to hang yourself with; that's arguably better than not having enough rope.