[Openmcl-devel] Read all available input from socket stream?

Joshua Kordani jkordani at lsa2.com
Tue Jul 23 12:36:31 PDT 2013

Greetings all.

I am attempting to read all currently available data from a stream. I am
not expecting much data, so I suspect I need to call finish-output.
(read) seems to return immediately, before it seems that data is
available.  I guess in hindsight I don't know how the implementation is
supposed to know when input has stopped coming in on what is
conceptually a stream with no eof representing any termination of input.

I guess what I'm saying is, given a socket stream, is there a way to
read, blocking until there is input to be read and until there is no
more data to be read, this kind of stream?

http://paste.lisp.org/+2YLT
this is a paste of the funciton I'm trying to get working.  I want to
write something to the stream, and I expect something back, which I want
to either return from this function or simply emit to *terminal-io*

Josh