[Openmcl-devel] Read all available input from socket stream?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Jul 24 17:16:00 PDT 2013

Hopefully, this answers Zach's question as well.  The general answer is
that you can likely read whatever data's available on a socket without
blocking, but:

  a) it involves using CCL-specific primitives
  b) some of those primitives are OS-specific as well
  c) when dealing with a CCL stream, you can have "unread" data that's
     sitting in the stream's buffer, "unread" data that the OS says
     can be read immediately, and "unread" data that the other end of
     the socket hasn't sent yet (or hasn't been recieived yet.)  Off
     the top of my head, I don't remember whether there's a fit-for-public-
     consumption way of determining whether or not a stream has buffered
     data available.  If there isn't, there easily could be.

If we somehow know that a stream's input buffer is empty and if we don't
care about running on Windows or FreeBSD, we can obtain the stream's input
file descriptor via:

(ccl:stream-device stream :input)

and if that returns a non-nil result (as it will for an open TCP stream)
call CCL::UNREAD-DATA-AVAILABLE-P on that file descriptor.

On Unix-based systems other than FreeBSD, CCL::UNREAD-DATA-AVAILABLE-P
will either return NIL or a positive integer, and in the latter case you
should be able to do (e.g.) (READ-SEQUENCE large-enough :START 0 :END N)
without blocking and be confident that that reads N octets.

If I remember correctly, the underlying mechanism only worked for sockets
on FreeBSD (and not on other kinds of file descriptors), and if there's a way
to determine how much unread data exists in the OS for an arbitrary Windows
file handle I have no idea what that'd be.

There's a related question, namely "is it possible to read from this fd
now without blocking ?", and the answer to that question almost always
is "that depends on how much you want to read, as well as other factors."
You can (on Unix variants) put a file descriptor in non-blocking mode
and this will cause attempts to read more data than is immediately available
to return a distinguished error result, but that leaves you having to determine
how much unread data is available via binary search or by reading one byte
at a time.  (It's also the case that whatever support still exists for doing
non-blocking I/O on CCL streams is mostly leftover from the days of cooperative
threads; there are probably a few cases where non-blocking I/O would be otherwise
be useful, but I don't feel that people are missing too much by not being
able to do some things with non-blocking CCL streams.)

Note also that if CCL::UNREAD-DATA-AVAILABLE-P returns NIL, there's no way
to tell from that result alone whether that's because the fd is at EOF or
whether "there's no do data available now, but might be later" if that concept
applies.

So ... I don't remember whether there's a current way of determining whether
a buffered input stream has buffered input; if there isn't, it'd be fairly easy
to define.  You can find out whether the OS has buffered input ready (and if so,
how much is available) if the OS provides a way of determining this and most
OSes that CCL runs on do so.  The internal function that tries to provide this
information hasn't changed in a long time and isn't likely to disappear soon,
but I don't want to promise that it won't change or disappear in the future if
there's good reason to change or remove it.