[Openmcl-devel] Slow response times from SLIME

Willem Rein Oudshoorn woudshoo at xs4all.nl
Sat Mar 30 07:57:13 PDT 2013

"R. Matthew Emerson" <rme at clozure.com> writes:

> On Mar 30, 2013, at 10:18 AM, Willem Rein Oudshoorn <woudshoo at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> In slime compilation of a form can sometimes take up to 30 seconds.
>> Or completation from slime on a symbol can take a similar amount of
>> time.
>>
>> It is not always the case, but often enough to be really annoying.
>
> I was going to suggest putting (setq font-lock-verbose nil) in your
> .emacs (which has helped symptoms like this in the past), but I think
> the issue is something else.  See below.
>
>> This happens not on a freshly started image, but an image I
>> have been playing with for a while.
>>
>> The image uses the objc bridge and I create and delete a lot
>> of NSWindows containing an NSOpenGLView.
>> (I create and delete because I am playing with cl-opengl)
>>
>> Also I redefine obj methods very regularly.
>>
>> Oh, BTW, I am using:
>> CCL: Version 1.8 (15416M (X8664)
>> OSX: 10.8.3
>
> My guess is that you may be running into the 10.8
> mach_port_allocate_name() lossage.  (It's a long, horrible story.)
> See http://trac.clozure.com/ccl/ticket/1005.
>
> Please upgrade to the CCL 1.9 release, where we avoid direct use of the Mach exception handling interface.

Ah, that might be it!   I just observed that in the cases it is really
slow, CCL starts eating memory, from 300MB --> 3.5GB which is GC'ed
almost immediately after.

Also I remember reading the thread about the issue, but I didn't connect
the dots.

I will give it a try.  Thanks for responding so quickly.

Thanks,
Wim Oudshoorn.