[Openmcl-devel] CCL Issue with Lion

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri May 3 13:06:18 PDT 2013

The only thing that CCL does that's related to the File->Open ... menu
item is to override NSDocumentController's #/runModalOpenPanel:forTypes:
method to add an "accessory view" (a popup menu that lets one select
the file's text encoding.)  AFAIK, commenting our this method definition
will have no significant effect on anything related to using that menu
item.

The header files define NSOpenPanel to have NSPanel and NSWindow and a
few other classes in its CPL; when running in the sandboxed environment,
NSOpenPanel is a more direct descendent of NSObject (so invoking NSPanel/
NSWindow methods on an NSOpenPanel won't work.)  CCL doesn't invoke any
such methods in this case.

ObjC method dispatch is (mostly) done by the ObjC runtime; the (partial)
exceptions have to do with relatively rare cases where there's type ambiguity.
(It's perfectly legal for disjoint ObjC classes to both implement ObjC methods
with the same name but with different argument/result types.  IIRC, #/size is
defined (somewhere) to return an NSInteger and somewhere else to return an NSSize;
CCL's ObjC bridge has to look at the type of the receiver in order to know how
to do a foreign function call into the ObjC runtime, but the ObjC runtime ultimately
decides what method implementation gets called.

(A short version of the above: a mismatch between header files and reality
isn't likely to be involved here; it could matter if you did some other things
that believed that the header files matched reality.)

When I try to run Mike's demo under Lion and use the File->Open menu item, I
see the following:

2013-05-02 17:09:21.607 dx86cl[5599:1c51b] Connection Invalid error for service com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice.
2013-05-02 17:09:21.722 dx86cl[5599:1c51b] Error received in message reply handler: Connection invalid
2013-05-02 17:09:36.634 dx86cl[5599:1bc23] Error received in message reply handler: Connection invalid
2013-05-02 17:20:42.909 dx86cl[5599:21e23] Error received in message reply handler: Connection invalid

I saw that by just running the executable in the shell; I assume that the output
would go somewhere if one double-clicked on the application icon, and I assume
that the inability to connect to that service is somehow related to the problem.
(The open/save panels run in another process when the application is sandboxed
and the messages are seemingly claiming that the Secret Means Of Connecting To That
Process isn't  working; Apple would have to kill you if they told you anything
more useful.)

I may have missed a message in this thread, but I assume that Mike's saying
that he has an ObjC program that's functionally the same but that doesn't
have difficulty establishing this connection.  I'm really skeptical that
the only difference between working and non-working code is that the non-working
code involves CCL.  Is there some sort of monetary reward for finding another
significant difference ?

After many years of reading announcements like "CCL can't use NSScrollView!
Pay no attention to the NSScrollViews on the screen in front of you!" (see
<http://clozure.com/pipermail/openmcl-devel/2013-April/014262.html>), my
first reaction is to wonder about that.