[Openmcl-devel] trying some ASuDF tests on Windows (was: Re: [asdf-devel] Volunteer for LispWorks testing?)

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 06:04:15 PDT 2013

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 11:48 PM, Genworks Support <support at genworks.com> wrote:
> For the record, I don't mean to be directing these emails personally at
> Faré. They are for whomever the spirit moves on the asdf-devel list (i've
> changed Faré to be a CC here).

I didn't suppose you were, but I wanted to make it clear I am not going
to put the energy I used to, or to take responsibility for getting
patches applied,
even though I may help when for whatever reason I feel concerned.
IOW, I'm not a maintainer anymore.

> With my patch applied, the only failure now has to do with "awkward legacy
> output capture via run-shell-command."

Looking at the log with emacs, that's the extra space bug again.

You may want to open a bug against CCL for the extra space:
the problem is in the (when strings ...) condition in
ccl::make-windows-command-line
which should be (when (rest strings) ...) or something.

* (make-windows-command-line '("echo" "ok" "1"))
"echo ok 1 " ;; instead of "echo ok 1"

That said, you will probably face many more failures with this file.
Have you tried the test suite with SBCL for Windows?

It's OK to #+conditionalize a few annoying tests when implementations fail,
though of course we'd ideally get the bugs fixed in the implementations.

> But as far as I can tell, my patch is needed (relative to current master
> HEAD) for test

If that's the patch that always adds cmd /c, I think it is a bad idea,
because that's probably not transparent with respect to some special characters
interpreted magically by cmd.exe. If someone wants to invoke cmd,
he can pass a string to run-program.

A word for the epoch of free software and universal publishing:
voluntocracy n 1. governance by those who do the work. 2. the volunteers
who do the work. — Aubrey Jaffer, http://swissnet.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/