[Openmcl-devel] NSApplication run method does not seem to work quite right

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sat Mar 8 16:21:31 PST 2014

In order to communicate with the window system, Cocoa GUI code needs to run
on the initial thread.

You seem to think that this is only true of some code (the event loop) and
not other code (the code that creaetes a window).  You'll often find that
code that tries to do GUI things on some other thread sort-of-kind-of works
(it's as if the thread that created the window couldn't properly communicate
with the window system.)

Something like:

(process-interrupt ccl::*initial-process* (lambda ()
                                             (make-window)
                                             (start-run-loop)))

is a little closer to being "equivalent" to the ObjC code, unless you
change the ObjC code to create the window in a different thread ...