[Openmcl-devel] Win32 questions

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Oct 15 21:18:19 PDT 2014

To digress (hopefully very briefly): lisp objects are dynamically
typed; "foreign objects" generally aren't.  "Lisp memory" contains lisp
objects and is managed by a lisp-aware GC; "foreign memory" doesn't
contain lisp objects and is not generally of interest to the GC.  C
(and other foreign code) operates on foreign objects in foreign memory
and Lisp code operates on lisp objects in lisp memory, and the twain
only meets in a few places (foriegn function calls and callbacks) in
CCL.  There are a few ways of allocating and managing foreign memory
from Lisp code in CCL and of storing and accessing foreign values in
foreign memory; threre is (very intentionally) no way of going in the
other direction in CCL.  Some of those ways of allocating foreign
memory allocate it on a stack.  Hopefully, that's more than enough of a
digression ...

Using %STACK-BLOCK (as your annotation does) is more correct, but I'd
vote for using
RLET.  (All of these things are fairly low-level, but RLET does a
little more for you.)

Recall that a MACPTR is a lisp object that encapsulates some absolute
address.  WITH-MACPTRS will bind a set of variables to a set of MACPTR
objects and declares that those variable bindings have dynamic extent
(and therefore the MACPTRs which are the initial values of those
variables can be stack-allocated.)  A MACPTR is a few dozem bytes at
most, but code which allocates those small lisp objects on a lisp stack
may CG less frequently than code that allocated them in the lisp heap.
The original code bound SN to a NULL pointer and passed the value of
that null pointer to the foreign fuinction; that's no different than
the other arguments where an explicit null pointer is used.

Your annocation used (%STACK-BLOCK ((SN 32)) ...)  That will allocate
32 bytes on a foreign stack and bind SN to a MACPTR to the address of
that memory.  If the foreign function call returns with no error, you
could get the value that the function stored there by something like

   (%get-unsigned-long sn  ; I'm assuming that a DWORD is a 32-bit
unsigned integer

If you don't remember how big a DWORD is (but do remember how to
capitalize it), you could also use RLET and PREF here.

   (rlet ((sn #>DWORD))
    (pref sn #>DWORD))

In C, you might have just said

    DWORD sn;

and that's more succinct but it's exactly what the RLET is doing.

------quoted attachment------