[Openmcl-devel] Problems with installing CCL on Ubuntu

Top, J.D. j.d.top at student.rug.nl
Thu Apr 9 08:41:41 PDT 2015

Hello,

Since no other source or party has been able to help I decided to request
support from the CCL mailing list.

I've been trying to install CCL on Ubuntu but to no avail. I've obtained
the Linux CCL package from http://ccl.clozure.com/download.html, and
followed the instructions from http://ccl.clozure.com/install.html (as well
as a lot of other online help).

I wish to run CCL straight from a terminal prompt without using Slime, so
I've copied the ccl script to */usr/local/bin/*. Then I edited it to change
the path: *CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY=/home/myname/Desktop/ccl* (as the package
was extracted in the desktop). I've also built the Lisp kernel by using the
command "*make clean && make*" in *
/home/myname/Desktop/ccl/lisp-kernel/linuxx8632*.

However, despite these efforts running "ccl" from a command prompt results
in

*myname at mycomputer:~$ ccl*

*/usr/local/bin/ccl: 48: exec: /home/myname/Desktop/ccl/lx86cl: not found*

Despite lx86cl being in this exact location (which can be seen by dragging
the file into the terminal). If I change the filename from lx86cl.image to
lx86cl running the command "ccl" results in

*/usr/local/bin/ccl: 48: exec: /home/myname/Desktop/ccl/lx86cl: Permission
denied*, even if "sudo ccl" is used.

After ticking the "allow executing file as program" box in the lx86cl
permissions the error changes to

*/home/myname/Desktop/ccl/lx86cl: 1: /home/myname/Desktop/ccl/lx86cl:
Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")*

Any help with installing CCL on unbuntu would be greatly appreciated.