[Openmcl-devel] Printing the package along with the Lisp prompt

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Tue Jan 6 14:48:05 PST 2015

In the IDE, the current package is shown in the mini-buffer, but when you’re using CCL at the command line there is no indication of which package you’re in.  I just spent an hour trying to figure out how to fix that and finally came up with the following solution:

#+(and ccl (not hemlock)) (progn

(defun shortest-package-name (package)
  (let* ((name (package-name package))
         (len (length name)))
    (dolist (nick (package-nicknames package) name)
      (let* ((nicklen (length nick)))
        (if (< nicklen len)
          (setq name nick len nicklen))))))

(defun print-current-package-name (stream object &optional colon-p at-sign-p)
  (declare (ignore object colon-p at-sign-p))
  (format stream "~A" (shortest-package-name *package*)))

(setf ccl::*LISTENER-PROMPT-FORMAT* "~/print-current-package-name/~:* ~[>~:;~:*~d >~] ")

)

I’m posting it here just in case anyone else wants this feature and doesn’t feel like taking the time to figure out how to make it work.

rg