[Openmcl-devel] Using the IDE as a swank client

R. Matthew Emerson rme at clozure.com
Wed Jan 14 09:15:17 PST 2015

> On Jan 12, 2015, at 1:41 PM, Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com> wrote:
>
> Subject line kinda says it all.  It is possible to use the CCL IDE as a swank client?  i.e. is it possible to open a Listener window connected to a remote swank server instead of a local REPL?
>
> It seems that this was once possible:
>
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.openmcl.devel/4162
>
> but I can’t find it in the latest CCL.  Did it go away?  How hard would it be to resurrect this capability?

We (well, mikel evins) added this at one time.  I took it out because the protocol swank uses to communicate with slime is private, and I didn't want to keep up with changes.

Gail invented a way for the IDE to connect to a remote CCL via a home-grown protocol, but I don't remember how it works right off hand.  Maybe she (or someone else) will chime in with how to use it.