[Openmcl-devel] TIL that CCL's load function speaks HTTP

Max Rottenkolber max at mr.gy
Mon Jan 19 05:11:27 PST 2015

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 18:33:34 -0800, Ron Garret wrote:

> No more need to load drakma to get simple urls!  Woohoo!

I guess the reason to use drakma is to not introduce non-portability.
Also SNARF-URL is not documented (and as far as I can tell CCL-1.9
doesn't have it)?

Without wanting to needlessly hijack this thread, there is a specific
HTTP-REQUEST functionality that I am missing in drakma: Reliable timeouts.

Drakma has CONNECTION-TIMEOUT, READ-TIMEOUT, WRITE-TIMEOUT and DEADLINE.

DEADLINE seems to be a Clozure only parameter and accepts "internal time
units". I couldn't get it to work so far .

(READ-TIMEOUT and WRITE-TIMEOUT are LispWorks only, CONNECTION-TIMEOUT is
rather unreliable.)

It's not a big issue (in the end you just attach a watchdog to your
request-thread), but this part of Drakma really annoys me, if not only
for the complete non-portability of the API by itself.

Then I just noticed CCL's (also undocumented) WITH-INPUT/OUTPUT-TIMEOUT.

Comments? :)