[Openmcl-devel] symbol garbage from Hemlock typing

Alexander Repenning alexander.repenning at Colorado.EDU
Tue Jul 14 07:09:51 PDT 2015

Trying to debug some symbol completion issues I found tons of symbols that appear to be side effects of the syntax colorization.

In CCL 1.10 with Cocoa IDE try this to replicate:

Type in, do NOT copy and paste, and do NOT evaluate this expression into a new Hemlock window: (symbol-garbage-1234567890)

now evaluate (apropos-list "SYMBOL-GARBAGE-1”)

The correct result should be nil

but it actually is

(SYMBOL-GARBAGE-1 SYMBOL-GARBAGE-12 SYMBOL-GARBAGE-123 SYMBOL-GARBAGE-1234 SYMBOL-GARBAGE-12345 SYMBOL-GARBAGE-123456 SYMBOL-GARBAGE-1234567 SYMBOL-GARBAGE-12345678 SYMBOL-GARBAGE-123456789 SYMBOL-GARBAGE-1234567890)

Looks to me is as if Hemlock, probably the syntax coloring, is actually interning every prefix substring of every symbol representing a function call when you type it in. That is not good. This will not be a problem when you just read in a file or copy paste but it will produce tons of unwanted symbols that will confuse various tools such as symbol completion.

Is there a way to turn this off?

Prof. Alexander Repenning

University of Colorado
Computer Science Department