[Openmcl-devel] CLOS implementation weirdness?

Adam Jensen hanzer at riseup.net
Tue Jun 9 08:10:08 PDT 2015

Hi, I've recently started working through [Object-Oriented Programming in COMMON LISP: A Programmer's Guide to CLOS](http://www.amazon.com/Object-Oriented-Programming-COMMON-LISP-Programmers/dp/0201175894). The example code in chapter three yields some weird results.

(defclass lock ()
  ((name :initarg :name :reader lock-name))
  (:documentation "The foundation of all locks."))

CLISP and SBCL seem to be okay with this code snippet but CCL gives:

Error: Class option :DOCUMENTATION is not one of (:NAME)

Example:
hanzer at helix:~$ clisp
  i i i i i i i       ooooo    o        ooooooo   ooooo   ooooo
  I I I I I I I      8     8   8           8     8     o  8    8
  I  \ `+' /  I      8         8           8     8        8    8
   \  `-+-'  /       8         8           8      ooooo   8oooo
    `-__|__-'        8         8           8           8  8
        |            8     o   8           8     o     8  8
  ------+------       ooooo    8oooooo  ooo8ooo   ooooo   8

Welcome to GNU CLISP 2.49 (2010-07-07) <http://clisp.cons.org/>

Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Michael Stoll 1992, 1993
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Marcus Daniels 1994-1997
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Pierpaolo Bernardi, Sam Steingold 1998
Copyright (c) Bruno Haible, Sam Steingold 1999-2000
Copyright (c) Sam Steingold, Bruno Haible 2001-2010

Type :h and hit Enter for context help.

[1]> (defclass lock ()
  ((name :initarg :name :reader lock-name))
  (:documentation "The foundation of all locks."))
#<STANDARD-CLASS LOCK>
[2]> (quit)
Bye.
hanzer at helix:~$ sbcl
This is SBCL 1.2.11, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org/>.

SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
BSD-style licenses.  See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
distribution for more information.
* (defclass lock ()
  ((name :initarg :name :reader lock-name))
  (:documentation "The foundation of all locks."))

#<STANDARD-CLASS LOCK>
* (quit)
hanzer at helix:~$ ccl
Welcome to Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.11-dev-r16390M-trunk  (LinuxX8632)!

CCL is developed and maintained by Clozure Associates. For more information
about CCL visit http://ccl.clozure.com.  To enquire about Clozure's Common Lisp
consulting services e-mail info at clozure.com or visit http://www.clozure.com.

? (defclass lock ()
  ((name :initarg :name :reader lock-name))
  (:documentation "The foundation of all locks."))
> Error: Class option :DOCUMENTATION is not one of (:NAME)
> While executing: DEFCLASS, in process listener(1).
> Type :POP to abort, :R for a list of available restarts.
> Type :? for other options.
1 > (quit)