[Openmcl-devel] How about Git?

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Sun Nov 29 14:15:35 PST 2015

On 29 Nov 2015, at 21:57, mikel evins <mevins at me.com> wrote:

> - working with git requires an initial adjustment; the equivalent of checking out or checking in requires an extra step as compared to Subversion—for example, for “check in” you first “commit” (check your changes into the local repo), then you “push” (transmit the updates to any remote mirrors). This isn’t that complicated, but I’ve noticed several people having trouble with it at first.

FWIW the way to explain this to SVN people is that clones are branches: you (add and) commit to the local repo (branch) then push to the remote (merge your changes into the trunk).

(I know, the analogy isn't exact, since there are branches in git as well, but clones are more like SVN branches than git branches are in many ways.)