[Openmcl-devel] How about Git?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Nov 29 23:26:18 PST 2015

note that there are technical solutions that  allow bi-directional mirroring
between svn and git, and if I understand correctly at least one of them is
free (as in beer) for open-source projects.  see www.subgit.com.

I am personally very skeptical that switching from svn to git would
solve more problems
than it would introduce, but I may be mistaken about that. Clozure's
policy has generally
been to give svn commit access to anyone who asks for it, but I don't
think that too many
people have asked.  I don't think that the current system is ideal by
any means, and I don't
object to anything that would make CCL easier for more people to use and
contribute to.  Why would I?

It's a slightly different issue, but the fact that Linux itself uses git
does not mean that
everyone has to deal with constant chaos (aside from the usual chaos of
Linux itself ...)
I don't know that we would be any more or less responsive to git pull
requests than
we are to Trac tickets.

I agree that "switching to git" would likely only be successful for anyone
if Clozure was actively involved in some way.  my own scepticism is (I
think)
based on technical concerns.  I don't -think- that anyone at Clozure objects
to the idea because we want to retain svn out of love for svn or out of
a desire to hoard code which is freely available.  If someone wants to
import
the svn repository into git, nothing is stopping them and if they do so in a
way that deals with binaries and sources in a reasonable way that would
help to allay a lot of my scepticism.  That's not the last step, but it
would
likely be a good first step.