[Openmcl-devel] making contributions to ccl easier (by using git?)

Dmitry Igrishin dfigrish at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 14:05:48 PST 2015

> > On Nov 30, 2015, at 3:14 PM, Dmitry Igrishin <dfigrish at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > On Nov 30, 2015, at 2:48 PM, Dmitry Igrishin <dfigrish at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > As I said in the parallel thread, I would prefer the installator for
> Linux (sh bundle),
> > > the installator for Windows, the dmg for Mac OS X, the sources +
> binaries tarball,
> > > and the Git repo which contains shell scripts for downloading
> appropriate binaries
> > > and hooks which runs this scripts automatically.
> >
> > Are you volunteering to write and test those pieces of software? Or are
> you volunteering somebody else to do it?
> > First of all, I'm new to Lisp and only on the way of learning it. I know
> a little about CCL
> > (but I like it, as well as SBCL), and I completely forget SVN (didn't
> touch it since 2010).
> > I also didn't have a much time to be volunteer due to my workload. So,
> it would be
> > interesting to investigate and implement it, but it can take a long time
> in my case.
>
> It seems like you’re trying to persuade the CCL team to switch to git, and
> to adopt a distribution strategy that you would prefer. That new strategy
> appears to involve some new tools and practices.

No, I'm not trying to persuade the CCL team. I just suggest one possible
option which
(in my opinion) would make CCL more attractive, especially for new lispers
which are
potential CCL contributors/developers.

> If you want your proposal to be as persuasive as possible, then you might
> consider including working and tested versions of the new tools and
> practices that you propose. If instead you propose that somebody else
> should do all of that work because you believe you would like the result,
> then the proposal is less persuasive.

I agree partly, because the goal of any public proposal is a discussion,
first of all. Matthew has pointed
the problems of the migration from SVN to Git, and I just propose how to
solve these problems in my
opition. And only when we come to a consensus, then we can talk about who
will work on what.