[Openmcl-devel] Error in error-message for ccl::make-tcp-socket for busy ports

Dave Cooper david.cooper at genworks.com
Mon Oct 19 18:48:42 PDT 2015

Hi,

I mentioned this in the #ccl IRC channel but I realize that might be an
annoying place for bug reports, especially at the end of the day EDT.

It seems that a call like this:

  (CCL::MAKE-TCP-SOCKET :CONNECT :PASSIVE :LOCAL-PORT 9000 :LOCAL-HOST NIL
:REUSE-ADDRESS T :FORMAT :BIVALENT :BACKLOG NIL :TYPE :STREAM)

will generate an erroneous error message, if it's called when port 9000 is
already being listened on by another server process.

It currently gives:

  :SITUATION is an invalid initarg to INITIALIZE-INSTANCE for
#<STANDARD-CLASS CCL:SOCKET-ERROR>.
Valid initargs: (:STREAM :ACTION :CODE :IDENTIFIER).

It seems like it should give an error something like:

 "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't start listening on that port right
now, because somebody else already appears to be listening on it."

This can be replicated as follows:

  (ql:quickload :aserve)
  (net.aserve:start :port 9000)

--