[Openmcl-devel] CLIM2 on CCL

Rainer Joswig joswig at lisp.de
Tue Jul 26 07:02:36 PDT 2016

> Am 26.07.2016 um 10:25 schrieb Chris Hanson <cmhanson at eschatologist.net>:
>
> On Jul 25, 2016, at 9:42 AM, Rainer Joswig <joswig at lisp.de <mailto:joswig at lisp.de>> wrote:
>>
>> One could get the sources for the MCL variant CLIM 2 from Digitool. It did cost extra.
>> From what I remember, this version is owned by Alice Hartley. The MCL version of CLIM 2
>> hasn't been ported to CCL, at least I know no version of it.
>
> Was it not part of the MCL release as Open Source?

CLIM 2 was not developed by Digitool. What Digitool developed was the port of CLIM 2 to MCL.
The backend, the implementations specific parts (streams, processes, ...), etc.
I don't think Digitool had a license to publish the source as open source, but that's just my guess.

> Was Alice the final owner of Digitool, Inc. and its assets? Has anyone spoken to her recently?

IIRC, at least she owned the CLIM port.

> I’ve actually looked around to try to find out who owns the Digitool intellectual property, with the goal of getting earlier releases of MCL distributable (as well as any sources for them that may still exist), but I haven’t been able to find much.
>
> Heck, even the pre-5.2 source repository for MCL is lost now, unless someone can engage with Google to recover it, or unless someone managed to grab it using git-svn before Google Code closed down. (Since the svn repo wasn’t converted to hg, but kept in place as a new hg repository was created for 5.2+, only the hg repo is downloadable from the Google Code Archive site. Better than nothing, especially since it still has the Fred code, but I was hoping for history too…)

Though it might be historically interesting, much of that stuff is of very little use today. The old MCL code only runs on outdated computers, under outdated operating systems and outdated libraries. There is interesting code in MCL, but it is next to impossible to use it today (since it is full of Mac toolbox data structures and calls). It might be useful to have some of the applications running on working machines or on emulators to preserve prior art. I still have a working Quadra 950, but I'm not using it often.

I'm more than happy that people like Gary Byers and others from Clozure maintain CCL.

If Craig Lanning gets some old Lisp code running on CCL, that's great. He might need some help, though...  ;-) I also think that it might need a good development environment to work with it, since the code is relatively complex and layered CLOS code.

Regards,

Rainer