[Openmcl-devel] Two streams questions

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Fri Jul 29 12:22:05 PDT 2016

1.  Does CCL natively support bivalent file/device streams?  This:

? (apropos 'bivalent)
      BIVALENT
     :BIVALENT,  Value: :BIVALENT
CCL::%BIVALENT-IOBLOCK-READ-U8-BYTE, Def: FUNCTION
CCL::%BIVALENT-LOCKED-IOBLOCK-READ-U8-BYTE, Def: FUNCTION
CCL::%BIVALENT-PRIVATE-IOBLOCK-READ-U8-BYTE, Def: FUNCTION

seems to hint that it might, but it’s not mentioned in the docs.

2.  Is it possible to do the equivalent of read-char-no-hang on a binary stream?  There is no read-byte-no-hang in CL, but is it even possible to implement this at the user level?  How?

The reason I ask is that I’m trying to read binary data from a serial device and it doesn’t have any way of signally EOF.  It just stops sending data.

Thanks,
rg