[Openmcl-devel] make-hash-table: error: non-standard test specified without hash-function

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Sat Mar 5 08:37:53 PST 2016

On Mar 5, 2016, at 8:24 AM, Robert Cram <robert at robertcramconstruction.com> wrote:

> The error message isn’t very illuminating, but anyway :test must designate only one of eq, eql, equal, or equalp.
>
> I have been puzzled by this, and would be grateful for an explanation, why one can’t provide any old test function.

Because only test functions that separate objects into equivalence classes make sense as the test function to a hash table.  What would a hash table whose test function was string-lessp do?

It makes sense to have string-equal hash table.  The reason it’s not in the spec was probably just an oversight.  (But note that packages are effectively string-equal hash tables.)

rg