[Openmcl-devel] *default-external-format* and encoding and decoding strings.

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Mon Mar 7 19:30:39 PST 2016

On Mar 7, 2016, at 7:16 PM, Gary Byers <gb at clozure.com> wrote:

> On 03/07/2016 04:34 PM, Ron Garret wrote:

>>> when that part (what part is it, by the way?) was written, :iso-8859-1 was the default character encoding.
>> Yes, I know.  That’s why I thought it was wrong, because the introduction of *default-external-format* had rendered it obsolete.  But then I read it more closely and remembered my history...
>>
>>> Changing the functions in question to use (e.g.)
>>>
>>> (defun encode-string-to-octets (string &key (external-format :default) ....) ...
>>>
>>> seems to be another approach
>> Yes, just more work.
> Unless I'm missing something, we are talking about 4 functions here - ENCODE-STRING-TO-OCTETS, DECODE-STRING-FROM-OCTETS,
> COUNT-OCTETS-IN-STRING, and COUNT-CHARACTERS-IN-OCTET-VECTOR.

That sounds right, though to be sure you’d have to go through a lot more of the code base to make sure you had gotten every function with an external-format argument.

> Someone who reads the documentation and says (DECODE-STRING-FROM-OCTETS  ... :EXTERNAL-FORMAT NIL) seems
> to be asking for a string produced from octets that are encoded in iso-8859-1, whether or not NIL should be an alias
> for that encoding. Given the documented treatment of NIL as an alias here, it is not clear why these 4 functions
> should treat an unsupplied :external-format argument differently than LOAD or OPEN do.

Yes, changing the default value of external-format to :default everywhere it appears would solve this problem.  That seems to me like a high price to pay to support some legacy special case, but it’s not my opinion that matters in this regard.

rg