[Openmcl-devel] Lisp Comparison

David McClain dbm at refined-audiometrics.com
Tue Apr 18 16:34:27 PDT 2017

Hi Craig,

There is also a lot left unstated in your presentation, e.g., Delivery Level in LW, Mac ? Windows ? Linux? (I assume you are using Linux given the wide variety of trials, but maybe not. Maybe Mac? )

I would expect a 64-bit implementation to outperform a 32-bit implementation, given my own experiences with Lispworks.  Almost a factor of 2 in some situations. But too, you haven’t said much about what kind of processing you are doing, threading, how you are handling text, what algorithms and data structures are being used. (I should go look at your sources…)

A 5:1 spread in performance is typical of what I have found when comparing native compiled code against interpreted byte code for the same algorithms. Can you be sure that all versions were fully compiled to native code?

Still, if running something like this produces results on a laptop, does it really matter whether it happens in 7 sec or 30 sec? Is this the kind of code that would be placed into continuous service and production? Or just something to give you some answers to chew on?

Cheers,

- DM