[Openmcl-devel] moving Clozure CL to GitHub

R. Matthew Emerson rme at acm.org
Thu Feb 9 19:39:07 PST 2017

As you have already heard, I'm planning to move the official source repository for Clozure CL to GitHub.  I wasn't going to say anything about it until I was 100% ready, but maybe it's better that the news has come out a little bit early.

I envision keeping the current Subversion/Trac setup alive indefinitely, but as a read-only historical reference.

About a year ago, I set up a mirror of the CCL sources on GitHub.  https://lists.clozure.com/pipermail/openmcl-devel/2015-December/011164.html is the message where I described what I did.

I still have not come up with a brilliant idea to solve the problem of distributing bootstrapping images and interface databases for each of the supported platforms.  If anyone has experience using GitHub releases, please get in touch with me.  Or if you have other ideas on how to solve this problem, I'd love to hear from you.

With any luck, this weekend I will come up with some workable way to do this, and then I'll make the current Subversion repository read-only, and we'll officially move to GitHub.

I know that I'm a distant second-best to Gary Byers when it comes to CCL knowledge and hacking skills, but I greatly value this software.  I also feel a responsibility towards its users.  It is my hope to continue Clozure CL's development and to encourage and foster even more CCL users and contributors.

I'm always glad to hear feedback and suggestions from the CCL community, so please don't hesitate to speak up on the mailing list or even to send me private mail about anything CCL-related.