[Openmcl-devel] ccl 1.11 release and GitHub

Chris Hanson cmhanson at eschatologist.net
Thu Feb 16 16:57:26 PST 2017

I think ultimately there should be a distinction between sources and binaries that there isn’t right now. It’s convenient to be able to check out and immediately build without also installing a binary distribution, but I really don’t think it should be required.

I find it quite convenient with SBCL that its binary distribution can easily be packaged in a standard Unix fashion for installation into /usr/local or /opt, and that I can use that binary distribution to build SBCL from sources from the command line. That’s one reason I filed #7.

Sure, to build CCL 1.11 and earlier maybe you have to do the “tar --strip-components 1” stuff to install a binary into to the sources, but maybe for 1.12 and later (or 1.13 and later) you just need a binary distribution of CCL 1.12 in your PATH.

Then the binary distribution can be shipped via “normal” binary distribution channels, e.g. GitHub Releases, files on the CCL web site, whatever, and not clutter any repositories.

  -- Chris
  -- who would also suggest breaking out the ObjC and Cocoa bridges into a separate repo
  -- and also the IDE
  -- and the examples maybe