[Openmcl-devel] importing part of existing Subversion repository to GitHub

R. Matthew Emerson rme at acm.org
Sat Feb 18 14:15:11 PST 2017

> On Feb 18, 2017, at 1:06 PM, R. Matthew Emerson <rme at acm.org> wrote:
>
> I would like to take the code from http://svn.clozure.com/publicsvn/openmcl/trunk/tests/ and put it into its own repository on GitHub.
>
> I tried using GitHub's importer to do this, and made https://github.com/Clozure/ccl-tests.
>
> I find this import unsatisfactory because it imports a large number of commits that don't include any changes to the tests.
>
> Is there anything I can do about this?

I found a recipe.  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28313664/remove-empty-commits-in-git

   git filter-branch --prune-empty --tag-name-filter cat -- --all
   git for-each-ref --format="%(refname)" refs/original/ | xargs -n 1 git update-ref -d

I don't really understand what it does, but it seems to work.  I'll delete the old ccl-tests repo and make a new one.