[Openmcl-devel] CCL running on Knights Landing

martin brooks brooks.martin at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 30 12:30:40 PST 2017

A: One CCL image generating multiple threads via process-run-function.

This is application code, not an artificial test.
I use a simple scheme where a vector of computations-to-be-done is divided by the number of cores.
The individual computations do not typically run flat out because they share resources, although I have difficulty identifying what resources they might be; improving this is part of my development challenge.

Performance varies up and down, and GC may be one of the causes for reduced parallel performance.
I try to keep GC out of the way: (set-lisp-heap-gc-threshold (* 100 (lisp-heap-gc-threshold)))
I call GC manually between processing stages.
Note that I am running in 110GB of memory and have used only 27 GB.

I’m in uncharted territory, so there is certainly room for improvement.
I am totally impressed that CCL runs out of the box on Knights Landing — congratulations to Clozure Associates !

Martin