[Openmcl-devel] Using the COCOA BRIDGE

Paul Krueger plkrueger at comcast.net
Mon Jul 10 06:10:58 PDT 2017

On Jul 9, 2017, at 10:46 PM, R. Matthew Emerson <rme at acm.org> wrote:

> The macOS has changed quite a bit since those examples were written.  Most regrettably, from the CCL point of view, Interface Builder has been made part of Xcode, and it's now not really feasible to create nib files without also writing corresponding Objective-C or Swift code.

While this is true, it is still possible to create Mac OS guis procedurally without the use of nib files. I changed all my contrib code to do this right after Apple integrated interface builder into Xcode, so there are lots of tools and examples and documentation of how to do this. As part of that I created a lisp-friendly interface to Apple’s constraint specification system which allows you to specify the size and location / alignment of window widgets relative to the locations of other widgets or borders. None of this is perhaps as easy as we’d like it, but it’s not impossible.