[Openmcl-devel] prompt-for-file (embarrassing question)

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Wed Mar 29 22:25:46 PDT 2017

On Mar 29, 2017, at 9:32 PM, Toomas Altosaar <toomas.altosaar at fi.abb.com> wrote:

> And I spent a good half hour just two days ago on Franz's Allegro Common Lisp trying to do exactly the same!
>
> Why? So that I could see what a pathname looked like on ACL/Windows. I felt helpless and computer illiterate / humiliated.
>
> [My Lisp path: 1987 (Symbolics) ==> 1994 (MCL) ==> present (ahem, ... still MCL)].
>
> While trying to get ACL to throw me up something that resembled MCL's choose-directory-dialog, I estimated that my productivity for that hour was about 100x slower than usual (which is slow to begin with). Very much out of my comfort zone.
>
> My goal is to move to CCL one day but alas, my understanding (definitely incorrect and biased)  is that there is no comparative GUI/IDE and the learning curve is way too steep (and thus too expensive to even consider partaking in until MCL hardware breaks down).

CCL has the best IDE on the market IMHO.  Where did you get the idea it doesn’t have one?

As for the GUI, CCL has an excellent FFI that allows you to call Objective C functions almost as if they were Lisp functions.  There is a bit of a learning curve, but it’s mostly the Cocoa learning curve you’d have to climb anyway to do any Mac development.

rg