[Openmcl-devel] 32 bit lisp

R. Matthew Emerson rme at acm.org
Thu Feb 1 18:10:02 PST 2018

> On Feb 1, 2018, at 4:31 PM, martin <brooks.martin at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> I’d like to offer a future perspective — where lisp is running on a small cpu in a system on a chip.
> SoC’s today offer ARM, Intel and other CPUs as hard IP; we should anticipate CL as a viable development language in future.
> Or, perhaps less ambitious, CL will run on small CPUs in board-level systems.
> For CCL releases in that future, various word sizes may be required.

Certainly the 32-bit ARM port will remain.

A 64-bit ARM port is, of course, desirable.  I got a replacement Odroid C2 after I fried my earlier unit, so all that is lacking is ambition on my part (and maybe a few bundles of $100 bills).  :-)

I thought that Intel would have enjoyed more success in the SOC and embedded area, but it seems to me that they just haven't been able to make any inroads there.

A RISC-V port could be fun.  Now that Western Digital is going to use RISC-V chips in products, it might end up going somewhere.