[Openmcl-devel] Trying to build a single stepper

73budden . budden73 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 08:47:01 PST 2018

Hi!

Thanks, Bill, I was thinking about coverage tool, and it was my
previous plan. Coverage inserts movs, so if I watch the destination of
this mov, this is a breakpoint. I made a prototype and was able to
break and see variables. Next step would be to coalesce all code-notes
and thus I would obtain a "step on/off" flag.

But it is less convenient because one has to recompile a function to
make it steppable. Recompilation is context dependent in CL, hence
recompiled function can yield e.g. different macroexpansion. So if
there is a way to instrument/uninstrument a function w/o
recompilation, it is preferrable. Also this watch based approach hurts
performance more than my current idea.

Actually what I do now is not perfect. Calls to CONS, LIST and some
other things are inlined, so they won't be steppable. But I guess
anyway it would be good as a starting point and I have rather limited
time period for that work.

Maybe coverage tool would be useful for setting breakpoint with a
mouse, because I would need to find a place in a code which
corresponds to current place in a source file. Code coverage tool
contains this data.

Ron, thanks, I know about advice, but it is global. Making a wrapper
only hurts a performance where it is used, and does not touch other
uses of PRINT. Not only wrapper function is faster, it is more
reliable too. Advising print and other system things is always
dangerous. But maybe I'll find useful code snippets to borrow from the
advice, thanks.

Meanwhile you can take a look at the similar proof-of-concept I made
for Lispworks some time ago. Lispworks rebuild a function to be
stepped in an interpreter, so it is not quite reliable approach. I did
something, but it is extremely hard to change anything in a closed
source program.

https://bitbucket.org/budden/budden-tools/src/default/experiments/hack-debugger/native-code-stepper.lisp?at=default&fileviewer=file-view-default