[Openmcl-devel] Query about ASSERT and COMPILER-LET

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Apr 16 15:11:06 PDT 2020

Thanks.  In that case, I think it should be relatively easy to fix
ITERATE to walk this form.

Unfortunately, I don't know who is maintaining that package now -- the
common-lisp.net page lists only a darcs repository, which is kind of
like saying it's available on Betamax...

On 16 Apr 2020, at 16:16, Ron Garret wrote:

> I’m running v1.12-dev.5-23-gb25693fa on Catalina and AFAICT the code
> for ASSERT has not changed, and still invokes COMPILER-LET.
>
> COMPILER-LET is an undocumented CCL extension, but AFAICT from looking
> at the source it is safe to simply treat it as if it expanded as
> follows:
>
> (defmacro compiler-let (bindings &body body)
>   (declare (ignore bindings))
>   `(progn , at body))
>
> rg
>
> On Apr 16, 2020, at 12:53 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info>
> wrote:
>
>> In the SHOP3 planner, I use the ITERATE package for looping. When I
>> compile SHOP3 on my Linux test machine with 1.11, I get compiler
>> warnings, because ITERATE can't successfully code walk CCL's code.
>>
>> When I look at the warning messages, it looks to me as if ASSERT
>> calls are being translated into a complex s-expression wrapped in
>> ccl:compiler-let, which ITERATE doesn't know how to walk.
>>
>> However, on my laptop, which runs macOS Catalina, and CCL 1.12, I do
>> not get these compiler warnings.
>>
>> So I was wondering: going forward can I rely on this being OK? Has
>> the compiler-let rewrite been removed from CCL? Or is this something
>> that is related to the OS, so that it will continue to appear on
>> Linux?
>>
>> I would like to know because if this is something that will continue
>> to appear, I can try to add support for ccl:compiler-let to ITERATE.
>> But this might be quite difficult, and I would prefer not to, unless
>> it's absolutely necessary.
>>
>> Thanks,

Robert P. Goldman
Research Fellow
Smart Information Flow Technologies (d/b/a SIFT, LLC)

319 N. First Ave., Suite 400
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Voice:	(612) 326-3934
Email:    rpgoldman at SIFT.net