[Openmcl-devel] Cocoa memory management and containers

Paul Krueger plkrueger at comcast.net
Fri Feb 7 07:01:49 PST 2020

Be careful. What you’re saying here doesn’t sound exactly like what I was suggesting. Creating Bitmap in the way you do does not increment its refcount. Unless you #/retain it somewhere that you don’t show in your example, you should be able to do the #/addRepresentation: as you did and then forget about it. The img object will retain it, as you suggested and when img is #/released then if and only if the img refcount goes to zero the bitmap object will be released. Then if and only if the bitmap object refcount goes to zero will it be deallocated.

What I was trying to suggest is that maybe when the img object was released that its refcount wasn’t at zero and therefore did not release the bitmap object that it contained.

It is, of course, also true that if the img refcount DID go to zero and it released the bitmap but ITS refcount wasn’t zero then the bitmap would not be deallocated. That sounds like what you are suggesting. But if that wasn’t what happened and you did an extra release on the bitmap when you hadn’t done a retain anywhere, that could prematurely deallocate it while something else still held a link to it. That could cause a crash later on when that link was referenced or something tried to release the bitmap after it was deallocated. I won’t get into the subject of autorealease pools here, but they could be playing a role too. That’s especially tricky when you’re trying to debug interactively because there is an autorelease pool associated with the listener that may keep things around even after your code seemed to be done with them. Aren’t refcounts fun?