[Openmcl-devel] talk on CCL

Bradford Miller bradfordmiller at mac.com
Sun Jan 5 15:27:26 PST 2020

As I recall, the largest factor for us at a university, was that until the early 90s we could put equipment like lisp machines directly on grants and contracts as materials (e.g. DARPA, NSF, etc.) while after the change Lisp workstations were no longer considered “specialized” and thus had to be covered under the “overhead” charge code which also covered everything else the university paid for (like 403b contributions). That meant that we (University of Rochester/CS) stopped buying on average 1 LispM/year for the groups that could put them on their grants and contracts and instead bought more Sparcstations that could be used by everyone in the department using general departmental funds.