[Openmcl-devel] Graphical User Interface

Stelian Ionescu sionescu at cddr.org
Mon Apr 19 08:57:43 PDT 2021

On Mon, 2021-04-19 at 08:40 -0700, Ron Garret wrote:
[...]
> That’s not feeble, that’s 5% of the total.  And 10% of what is
> needed, because I’m willing to put up 50% (i.e. $20k).  (I’d be
> happier if I didn’t have to put up quite that much, but I’m willing
> to do it.)
>
> So… one donor down, 9 to go.
>
> But at this point I’m not sure that money is even the limiting factor
> any more but rather finding someone actually able and willing to do
> the work.  The last time I actively pursued this was last year, i.e.
> many months ago.  The Clozure folks have been eerily quiet this time
> around.  And no one has taken the initiative to do what seems to me
> to be the obvious next move, which is to set up a gofundme page or
> something like that.

The broader question is whether CCL has any more competitive edge (and
therefore a reason to exist beyond nostalgia). 15 years ago when I
started using Common Lisp, CCL's compiler was roughly 5x faster than
SBCL (which is why I used it as my main development env on Linux), it
was well maintained and the integration with Cocoa was very important
for many OSX users. Now pretty much all that is gone.

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix