[Openmcl-devel] Bug or spec change?

Toomas Altosaar toomas.altosaar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 00:20:26 PST 2021

> One more comment: This is a bad example on the part of AMOP but for a different reason than Ron described. If you really want a counted-class, using a class-allocated slot is a much better approach. That way you don't need all this metaclass nonsense.
>
> -SS

That’s the approach I’ve used:

(cs1 :accessor :cs1 :allocation :class)

in the class definition for some class X. But since I want all inheriting classes of X, e.g., Y, to have its own class allocated slot, I have to repeat the class slot definitions in class Y as well, e.g.,

(cs1 :accessor :cs1 :allocation :class)

ad nauseam. Otherwise I’ll be talking to the unique cs1 slot in class X when dealing with Y.

I understand the behavior, I wish there would be a control mechanism that would allow creating unique class slots for inherited classes, e.g., by stating:

(cs1 :accessor :cs1 :allocation :class :shared-class-allocation nil)