[Openmcl-devel] Running (Open)MCL on a "Pismo" PowerBook

Tim McNerney mc at media.mit.edu
Thu Apr 14 05:52:13 PDT 2022

I need to study the PPC-target (Open)MCL compiler to help fix a bug in CCL.
I tried running OpenMCL 1.3 under MacOS 10.3 on a PowerBook "Pismo"
RME warned me it would need "Leopard" to run, and it seems he was right.
"Tiger" is the last MacOS version that can run on a "Pismo."

Can anyone recommend a path to reach my goal?
I only need to compile short pieces of test code, and disassemble it,
(and maybe instrument the compiler with trace and print statements).

Do I need to "dig" back to the DigiTool MCL days to run on MacOS 10.3?

I don't need any FFI, OS interface, or external libraries to work.
I'm happy to do this work in emulation if need be. (but I'd need a PPC
emulator).
I'm told cross-compilation is "ugly" but I'm willing to try that too.

--Tim