[Openmcl-devel] [ccl-dev] CL+SSL crashes the IDE on M1 macs

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Thu Dec 22 11:11:42 PST 2022

I figured out what was going on.  It turned out to have nothing to do with either CL+SSL or Quicklisp.

When I start my IDE, I get this:

Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.12.1 (v1.12.1-10-gca107b94) DarwinX8664
? (find-package :quicklisp)
NIL

which is as expected.  But in the command-line version I have this:

Clozure Common Lisp Version 1.12.1 (v1.12.1-10-gca107b94) DarwinX8664
? (find-package :quicklisp)
#<Package "QUICKLISP-CLIENT">

So apparently many months ago when I built CCL I somehow ended up with an image that included Quicklisp and that is the image that the command line version is using.  So when I load Quicklisp into that version, it gets to this point in the initialization process:

(defvar *quicklisp-home*
  (make-pathname :name nil :type nil
                 :defaults *load-truename*))

but that turns into a no-op because *quicklisp-home* is already bound.  It just so happens that *quicklisp-home* in this image points to a different copy of Quicklisp than the one I was trying to use.

(I have no idea how I ended up with a default image that has QL built in, particularly since my IDE doesn't have it.  That is still really weird.  But at least it's more run-of-the-mill weirdness.)

rg