[Openmcl-devel] ETA on CCL for M1 Macs?

Jon Boone ipmonger at delamancha.org
Wed Feb 9 16:25:47 PST 2022

On Jan 31, 2022, at 15:43, Andrew Shalit <alms_at_clozure.com> wrote:
> CCL runs much closer to the metal than most other Lisp implementations.  For example, it uses native threads.  It uses things like segfaults and interrupts to support the object model, eg knowing when it has to allocate more stack space or trigger a GC. It has a relocating garbage collector.  So whoever does the work needs to be comfortable navigating the operating system and CCLs internal data structures and runtime in GDB.  And they need to do all that in the context of 30+ years of code that was mostly written by one very smart person.  So, yes, it requires someone with a very specific skill set, and there aren’t many such people around.

Would it be possible to breakdown the various tasks into separate concerns, or is it all too intertwined to effectively do that?

I was imagining that such a breakdown might possible allow for multiple people to work on the port, even if none of them have the combined set of skills necessary to do the entire thing.

— jb