[Openmcl-devel] M1

Gary Palter palter at clozure.com
Mon Feb 21 04:50:20 PST 2022

Yes, it’s running through Rosetta 2 but there’s one serious flaw.  CCL relies on the hardware to signal exceptions for illegal numeric operations but Rosetta 2 doesn’t emulate the exception mechanism. For example,

    (/ 1.0d0 0.0d0)

doesn’t signal DIVISION-BY-ZERO but instead returns a float infinity value.

If you were to run the ANSI test suite, there are dozens of failures in float, bignum, and rational arithmetic.

In other words, if you’re application is heavily reliant on math, CCL is not reliable on Apple silicon.

  - Gary Palter
    Clozure Associates