[Openmcl-devel] ETA on CCL for M1 Macs?

Andrew Shalit alms at clozure.com
Mon Jan 31 12:43:53 PST 2022

CCL runs much closer to the metal than most other Lisp implementations.  For example, it uses native threads.  It uses things like segfaults and interrupts to support the object model, eg knowing when it has to allocate more stack space or trigger a GC. It has a relocating garbage collector.  So whoever does the work needs to be comfortable navigating the operating system and CCLs internal data structures and runtime in GDB.  And they need to do all that in the context of 30+ years of code that was mostly written by one very smart person.  So, yes, it requires someone with a very specific skill set, and there aren’t many such people around.