[Openmcl-devel] [Clozure/ccl] M1 Mac Monterey 12.3 ...... doesn't work...displays a laundry list of errors (Issue #413)

Bruce O'Neel bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch
Mon Jul 18 01:34:43 PDT 2022

(Sorry if you get two copies.  I just noticed that most of the email
addresses were "noreply")

HI,

There was an email posted a few months ago from Andew Shalit in
January that I am borrowing from but the problem comes down to:

* ccl deeply integrates with the OS.  This is what gave you the nice
environment.  But it means that changes in the OS break things where
other programs will not break.

* ccl does not work on ARM64.  It works on ARM32 and x86-64 but
apparently Rosetta2 is not able to exactly work in a way that ccl
x86-64 needs it to work for success.

Before this would have all been done by Gary Byers, but, alas, he had
to stop working on this.

My "plan" such as it is, is to first develop an ARMv8 simulator in
ccl, followed by changing the compiler so that it can compile to ARMv8
all while running in ccl on x86-64.  Then once ccl can partially
cross compile itself and write la64fsl files from x86-64 linux ccl
then hand write enough of the kernel to slowly bootstrap up an ARMv8
linux version.

That could then be a basis for a M1/M2 mac version.

Don't hold you breath though but the ARMv8 simulator is in process.
That is the easiest step.

cheers

bruce

Andrew's email is

"CCL runs much closer to the metal than most other Lisp
implementations. For example, it uses native threads. It uses things
like segfaults and interrupts to support the object model, eg knowing
when it has to allocate more stack space or trigger a GC. It has a
relocating garbage collector. So whoever does the work needs to be
comfortable navigating the operating system and CCLs internal data
structures and runtime in GDB. And they need to do all that in the
context of 30+ years of code that was mostly written by one very smart
person. So, yes, it requires someone with a very specific skill set,
and there aren’t many such people around."

On 2022-07-18T08:58:10.000+02:00, vrunhofen <notifications at github.com>