[Openmcl-devel] [CfPart] ELS 2022, 15th European Lisp Symposium, March 21-22, Porto.

Didier Verna didier at lrde.epita.fr
Thu Mar 10 07:02:57 PST 2022

		     15th European Lisp Symposium

			Call for Participation

			  March 21-22, 2022
		    FEUP, Porto, Portugal & Online
		   In cooperation with ACM SIGPLAN

	     https://www.european-lisp-symposium.org/2022

	      Sponsored by EPITA, Franz Inc., and SISCOG

Important News
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
- Full programme now online
- Invited speakers below
- Registrations are open

Scope
~~~~~

The European Lisp Symposium is a premier forum for the discussion and
dissemination of all aspects of design, implementation and application
of any of the Lisp dialects, including Common Lisp, Scheme, Emacs
Lisp, Clojure, Racket, ACL2, AutoLisp, ISLISP, Dylan, SKILL, Hy, Shen,
Carp, Janet, uLisp, Picolisp, Gamelisp, TXR, and so on. We encourage
everyone interested in Lisp to participate.

The European Lisp Symposium invites high quality papers about novel
research results, insights and lessons learned from practical
applications, and educational perspectives. We also encourage
submissions about known ideas as long as they are presented in a new
setting and/or in a highly elegant way.

Topics include but are not limited to:

- context-, aspect-, domain-oriented and generative programming
- macro-, reflective-, meta- and/or rule-based development approaches
- language design and implementation
- language integration, inter-operation and deployment
- development methodologies, support and environments
- educational approaches and perspectives
- experience reports and case studies

Invited talks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Building SICMUtils, the Atelier of Abstractions -- Sam Ritchie

SICMUtils is a Clojure library designed for interactive exploration of
mathematical physics. It is simultaneously a work of persuasive
writing, a collection of essays on functional pearls and computational
ideas, a stable of workhorse functional abstractions, and a practical
place to work and visualize algorithms and physical systems, on a
server or in the browser.

How do you build a library like this? This talk will go through the
architecture of SICMUtils, based on many of the ideas of "additive
programming" from Gerald Sussman and Chris Hanson's latest book,
Software Design for Flexibility. We'll look at surprising examples of
the system becoming easier to extend over time. Clojure's embrace of
its host platform lets us use the best modern work in Javascript for
visualization, while keeping the horsepower of our servers for real
work. Lisp's particular elegance will shine throughout.

Creating a Common Lisp Implementation -- Robert Strandh

Being dissatisfied with the way current Common Lisp implementations
are written, and with the duplication of system code between different
implementations, we started the SICL project in 2008. The initial idea
was to create modules that the creators of Common Lisp implementations
could use to create a complete system from an initial minimal core.
But this idea was unsatisfactory because it required each module to be
written in a subset of Common Lisp. So instead, we decided to use the
full language to implement these modules, effectively making them
useless to an implementation using traditional bootstrapping
techniques. We therefore decided to also create a new Common Lisp
implementation (also named SICL), that could use those modules.

A crucial element is a bootstrapping technique that can handle these
modules. In this spirit, we have developed several modules, including
an implementation of CLOS which is also an important element of
bootstrapping. Lately, we have increased our level of ambition in that
we want to extract those modules as separate (and separately
maintained) repositories, which requires us to deal with code during
bootstrapping that was not specifically written for SICL.

In our talk, we describe this evolution of ambition, and its
consequences to bootstrapping, in more detail. We also give an
overview of several new techniques we created, some of which have been
published (at ICL and ELS) and some of which have not. Finally, we
discuss the future of the project, and other projects for which we
imagine SICL to be a base.

Lisp as Renaissance Workshop: A Lispy Tour through Mathematical
Physics -- Sam Ritchie

Lisp is an exquisite medium for the communication of computational
ideas. From our most accurate observations of physical reality up
through chemistry, biology, and cognition, the universe seems to be
computing itself; modeling and simulating these systems in machines
has led to incredible technological wealth.

Deep principles and beautiful abstractions seem to drive these
systems, but they have always been hard to discover; and we are
floundering at the computational frontiers of intelligence, synthetic
biology and control systems for our climate. The only way to push
forward is to build powerful tools that can communicate and teach.

This talk will take a tour through SICMUtils, a Lisp system designed
as a workshop for conducting serious work in mathematical physics and
sharing those explorations in a deeply interactive, multiplayer way.
The library’s growth parallels our human scientific history; hopefully
tools like this will help us write the next chapter.

Programme Chair
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Newton - EPITA Research Lab (LRDE), France

Programme Committee
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Philipp Meier, Nubank
Ioanna M. Dimitriou H., Igalia
Mikhail Raskin, Technical University of Munich
Nick Levine, RavenPack
Adrien Pommellet, LRDE, EPITA
Marco Heisig, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen
Alberto Riva, Bioinformatics Core, ICBR, University of Florida
Marco Antoniotti, DISCo, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca
Nicolas Neuss, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen
Christophe Rhodes, Google UK
Irène Anne Durand, LaBRI, University of Bordeaux
Ralf Moeller
Breanndán Ó Nualláino, University of Amsterdam
Marc Battyani, Fractal Concept
Pascal Costanza, Intel
Sky Hester, Private Consultant

--
Resistance is futile. You will be jazzimilated.

Lisp, Jazz, Aïkido: http://www.didierverna.info