[Openmcl-devel] multiple read-time conditionals, puzzlement

Ron Garret ron at flownet.com
Mon Mar 13 10:42:12 PDT 2023

> On Mar 13, 2023, at 10:20 AM, Arthur Cater <arthur.cater at ucd.ie> wrote:
>
> Just guessing, maybe READ-CONDITIONAL is inlined.

No, it's that what is installed in the read table is the function object rather than the symbol:

? (trace CCL::READ-CONDITIONAL)
NIL
? #+ccl 1
1
? (set-dispatch-macro-character #\# #\+ 'ccl::read-conditional)
CCL::READ-CONDITIONAL
? #+ccl 1
0> Calling (CCL::READ-CONDITIONAL #<CCL::RECORDING-CHARACTER-INPUT-STREAM #x302000FFFFCD> #\+ NIL)
<0 CCL::READ-CONDITIONAL returned 2 values :
<0      1
<0      (#<SOURCE-NOTE Interactive NIL>)
1

But I really should have thought of that.  I must be getting old.

rg